Fri, 29th Mar, 2019
Review of Retention in the Armed Forces
Retention in the Armed Forces
The Prime Minister has recommissioned an independent report on improving Retention within HM Armed Forces, led by The Rt. Hon. Mark Francois MP
The report team would like to hear from currently serving personnel, those who have recently left the Armed Forces, and their families. The report team also welcome responses from providers of services to those in the Armed Forces and their families in the statutory, voluntary and charity sectors.
The team’s objective as set out by No. 10, is: “To understand how to create an environment that ensures the best retention of Service personnel for as long as Defence need them.” The team are required to provide initial findings to the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Defence by the end of July 2019 – with the full report to be submitted by the end of the calendar year.
The report team are keen to receive evidence on those factors which materially affect retention in the Armed Services. Including:
• The pressure of service life on personnel and their families
• Frequency of deployment/nights out of bed
• Remuneration and the “pull factor” of alternative employment opportunities outside of the Armed Forces
• Career progression - for both service personnel and their spouses/partners
• Accommodation and home ownership
• Quality of medical services available to Armed Forces personnel and their families
• Educational issues, including the provision of special needs education to children
The review will seek the first-hand experiences of currently serving, ex-service personnel and their families, with a series of planned visits to units. All respondents and their respective data will remain anonymous and no one will be personally identified in any report.
The report team is keen to hear both what is working well and what is not working well and should be improved.
Submissions can be sent to email@example.com by 00:00 on the 31st May 2019. Please include ‘Stick or Twist Report’ in the subject line of the email.